Old 30-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Alan Gould

Default Growing fruit Cherries

In article , AWM
eeserve.co.uk writes
I live close to the clyde valley soft growing area and spring flowering
cherry trees do exceptionally well in my local area , but I have seen
various cherry varieties intended for fruit in my local Homebase -- what
are the pit falls ?

Fruiting cherries are varieties of Prunus and they will do well in most
areas of UK given a little attention occasionally. Once they are
properly established, i.e. after 2 or 3 years, they will give good crops
of fruit annually unless they are caught out by a late frost. They
become vigorous in growth and need to be pruned for size regularly.

The pit falls are protecting the ripening cherries from birds just prior
to picking. They can be picked under-ripe for finishing indoors, but a
lot of flavour and texture is lost by doing that. We put two or three CD
bird scarers among the branches to good effect at the earlier stage of
fruit ripening, then some horticultural fleece over the cherries as they
begin to change colour. That way we succeed in catching most of the
crop. We eat a lot, freeze a lot and give a lot away, it's great fun!
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.