Old 19-06-2007, 08:20 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jan Flora Jan Flora is offline

Default northern Idaho veggie gardening

In article . com,
thistletoes wrote:

Anyone out "there" living and gardening in northern Idaho? I am in
the mountains, elev 2700', probably zone 4. I think our area was left
off the zone map, since within a 65 mile radius the elevation goes
from sea level to over 3500' Must be too intense for the zone map.
Anyway, I could surely use some tips on what grows well here besides
oodles of wild rhubarb and evil blackberry bushes! Thanks for any
offerings of advice.
Deb

If you have wild blackberries, you might be in Zone 5. They aren't all
that hardy. But buying stock for Zone 4 would be a safe bet.

If you're up on the hill, you can grow lots of stuff that
flatlanders can't grow. Raspberries, currants, columbine, blue
poppies, all of the somniferum poppies (the oriential, perennial
ones), um, my brain isn't working...

Do a google for cold climate gardening or something like that.
There are LOTS of things that grow well in the colder zones
that just can't handle hot weather or lower latitudes/altitudes.

The state flower of Colorado is a gorgeous blue & white Columbine.

Jan in Alaska
USDA Zone 3