Old 19-06-2007, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dax MIckelson Dax MIckelson is offline

Default Gas buildup in my substrate

Richard Sexton wrote:

In article ,
Dax MIckelson wrote:
Hello all. I've had a fish tank for most of my life. Recently I've
decided to create a tank that is mostly plants with some supportive fish.

I've created a substrate that is composed of vermiculite and soil (50/50
and about 2-3 inches deep) topped by about 1/2 inch of general purpose
sand. My plants are growing well and showing good color and my fish
look healthy too. HOWEVER, my substrate has swelled about 1/2 to 1
inch. If I push on it a ton of gas bubbles come out. Is this a bad
thing?

It's not particularly bad. People still use vermiculite? That's so 80's
:-)

(There's no particular advantage to using vermiculite, it's more important
to fertilize properly).

Not vermiculite? That is all I've read about to use. I'm new to
aquascaping. What do you recommend then?