Old 30-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Rod

Default Growing fruit Cherries

"AWM" wrote in message ...
I live close to the clyde valley soft growing area and spring flowering
cherry trees do exceptionally well in my local area , but I have seen
various cherry varieties intended for fruit in my local Homebase -- what
are the pit falls ?

None - you get to eat them or the local birds do, a win win situation.
Ask for trees on dwarfing or semi dwarfing rootstocks, they will stay small enough to make cageing or netting a
practical proposition. Just check you're not in a frost pocket or if you are see if you can make a route for cold air
to drain away. The trees are tough as old boots but spring frost or late snow can catch the blossom.

Rod