Old 20-06-2007, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default fertilome brush and stump killer

On Jun 20, 11:49?am, Celeste Evans wrote:
How safe is this stuff to use around established trees. The scenario...
jasmine ground cover and holly removed for a new bed, the area is
surrounded by large old oaks. The landscape people want to use the
fertilome brush and stump to kill the roots of the jasmine. Seems
suspect to me, but I do not understand chem speak well enough to figure
out what they were telling me when I googled this stuff. Any help
pointers appreciated. For what it's worth the site is in Austin TX zone

Seems like something that once it's applied nothing will grow there
for quite a while. I wouln't use a defoliant to clear an area I
tendeded to replant. I used to apply roundup to my gravel roadway but
I don't bother anymore (not good for wildlife, or me for that matter,
plus it's expensive, and hard work out in the hot sun), a few weeds
don't hurt anything... were I really concerned I'd just drive over it
more often. Were it me wanting to start a new planting bed I'd pull
the majority of weeds by hand and then gas up the rototiller. And
softwood stumps will usually decompose in under five years.

http://hi-yield.com/MSDS/FertiLome/W...ler%20MSDS.pdf