Old 21-06-2007, 05:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Kurt[_2_] Kurt[_2_] is offline

Default Question about irises

In article .com,
Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Hmmm... checked it out - looks good. I just need a careful balance
between sucking up the muck and sucking up the tiny fish.

Our intake is at the deepest part of the pond (7') inside a 5 gal
bucket that has as many 1/2" holes in it as we could drill. The many
holes reduce the pull through any one of them and close out anything
over 1/2". Muck goes in, but nothing else. The pump is designed to
handle anything under 1/2". If the holes were 1/4" it would keep all
but the tiniest fish out. Once a year, we net out the larger-
than-1/2" muck that gathers by the filter intake. As Jan noted, an
intake at the lowest point makes the pond self-cleaning.

Jim

I have netting over a prefilter in mine. My pond is tiered, and the
deepest point is about 3 ft. 5 gal is too big for me, but something
similar would work. I really need to revamp my system.
I will post pix and sizes to get input.
Appreciate the tips!