Old 21-06-2007, 08:52 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
San Diego Joe San Diego Joe is offline

Default Bead filters

Hi all,

I have been thinking about increasing my filtration rate through the use of
a bead filter either purchased or DIY.

I've found plans for a DIY version he
http://pw1.netcom.com/~larry_l/diy_bead.htm

Does anyone have any experience with these either the DIY or manufactured
version? Specific brands, etc.

Would I use it as a separate system, ie: with it's own pump and plumbing, or
would I integrate it into my existing stuff? I have a skimmer that also
connects to a bottom drain and thought I might be able to MacGyver the
bottom drain connection to the bead filter.

My water is actually pretty clear, but there seems to be a lot of stuff
floating about. I'd thought about additional veggie filters or a settlement
chamber, but I don't really have a good (or bad) place to put them.

Thanks,

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.