Old 22-06-2007, 02:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gordon[_2_] Gordon[_2_] is offline

Default Bead filters

Oops, hit send before I finished

You could also consider a DIY Fluid Bed Filter such as the one at:
http://www.fishkeepersforum.org/hard...r/content2.htm

I am thinking of incorporating one of these into my new setup.

I did wonder if its efficiency could be improved further by incorporating an
air disk in the bottom to give the bacteria an even more oxygen rich
environment, in the same way that the "Nexus Eazy" filters aerate their
media

Cheers

Gordon

"San Diego Joe" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have been thinking about increasing my filtration rate through the use
of
a bead filter either purchased or DIY.

I've found plans for a DIY version he
http://pw1.netcom.com/~larry_l/diy_bead.htm

Does anyone have any experience with these either the DIY or manufactured
version? Specific brands, etc.

Would I use it as a separate system, ie: with it's own pump and plumbing,
or
would I integrate it into my existing stuff? I have a skimmer that also
connects to a bottom drain and thought I might be able to MacGyver the
bottom drain connection to the bead filter.

My water is actually pretty clear, but there seems to be a lot of stuff
floating about. I'd thought about additional veggie filters or a
settlement
chamber, but I don't really have a good (or bad) place to put them.

Thanks,

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.