Old 22-06-2007, 01:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
RichToyBox RichToyBox is offline

Default Bead filters

For my two ponds, I have three bead filters. The first was a BBF-2
bubblebead and it uses gravity drain and air comes in to agitate the beads
for cleaning. This somewhat works, but by plumbing to have water backflow
similar to Larry's scheme, after about half the water escapers, really does
much better. The second one I got was a Sacremento Koi 15, and this one
uses a spa blower to agitate the beads for cleaning. I like the desing of
this one the best. The third is an Aquadyne 4.4 and it also uses a spa
blower to agitate the beads. Aquadyne makes one without the air blower, but
it was found that to accomplish a good agitation cleaning of the beads, you
need a large two speed, high power pump, and even then, you would need to
take the filter apart periodically to break up the bead pack.

I love the convenience of cleaning the bead filters, the ability to locate
them in my shed, away from the ponds and out of sight.
"San Diego Joe" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have been thinking about increasing my filtration rate through the use
of
a bead filter either purchased or DIY.

I've found plans for a DIY version he
http://pw1.netcom.com/~larry_l/diy_bead.htm

Does anyone have any experience with these either the DIY or manufactured
version? Specific brands, etc.

Would I use it as a separate system, ie: with it's own pump and plumbing,
or
would I integrate it into my existing stuff? I have a skimmer that also
connects to a bottom drain and thought I might be able to MacGyver the
bottom drain connection to the bead filter.

My water is actually pretty clear, but there seems to be a lot of stuff
floating about. I'd thought about additional veggie filters or a
settlement
chamber, but I don't really have a good (or bad) place to put them.

Thanks,

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.