Old 25-06-2007, 02:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
LAH LAH is offline

Default fertilome brush and stump killer

"Celeste Evans" wrote in message
How safe is this stuff to use around established trees. The scenario...
jasmine ground cover and holly removed for a new bed, the area is
surrounded by large old oaks. The landscape people want to use the
fertilome brush and stump to kill the roots of the jasmine. Seems
suspect to me, but I do not understand chem speak well enough to figure
out what they were telling me when I googled this stuff. Any help
pointers appreciated. For what it's worth the site is in Austin TX zone
8.

Thanks
Cea

I don't know any thing about the brush killer you have described. However,
I've used Tordon* RTU on both stumps and tree seedlings that can't be
pulled. There is no mixing, you use it straight from the bottle, and it
comes with a nozzle top. Very easy and pretty accurate. You should apply
it to the stump immediately after cutting (for a seedling we're only talking
about a few drops). I've used it on both large tree stumps and seedling
trees in flower beds. I have never had trouble with it hurting the
surrounding plants. A word of caution - If you are treating stumps and you
have the same kind of bush or tree as the cut tree, and if they are close,
the roots may have grafted to each other. In that case, if treated it may
also kill the uncut tree.