Old 31-03-2003, 02:20 AM
torgo

Default for Shiva - replacements for Mr. L (?)

Shiva - I just brought my Kentucky Derby and Double Delight in for
the night (we were in the high 70s yesterday but will dip into the
20s tonight with strong winds) when it hit me that DD might be just
the ticket to replace Mr. L. in a red and white bed. (Red AND white
AND seriously fragrant, all in one bush.)

Three others on my immediate shopping list might fit the bill as well-

Liebeszauber - red - first intro'd in 1959, apparently went out of
production and was reintroduced in 1990. Beats me if they're the same
identical rose, two completely different roses, or an improved version
of an original. Weeks featured it this year, so it ought to be
readily available from garden shops fairly close by.
http://www.rose-roses.com/rosepages/...ebezauber.html
http://www.weeksroses.com/liebeszauber.htm

Red Planet - red - often used as parent for hybridizing other
roses. I haven't called to confirm availablility, but from the web
site it sounds like Ashdown has a few available in 3-gal size.
http://www.rose-roses.com/rosepages/...RedPlanet.html

Snowbird - white - presumably very fragrant. I don't have any pure
whites at all yet, and since I haven't found Cyril Fletcher close by,
Snowbird will be my first. Ashdown has it in 3-gal containers..