Old 28-06-2007, 06:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ivanna Pee Ivanna Pee is offline

Default rototilling rocky soil

On Jun 23, 2:46 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
The soil my yard sits on it extremely rocky. It's very nice soil, all
glacial till and stream bed composition, but more rocks than I care to
count. Digging a hole is an exercise in futility as I will encounter round
rocks about the size of a baseball or grapefruit more often than not.

I would like to take a rototiller to a patch of land but fear what will
happen with all those damn rocks. What kind of things should I look out for
when rototilling really rocky soil? Do I need a special tiller, should I
simply not do it, would renting one be a bad idea (I'm thinking of damage to
the unit), would a rototiller not do a good job? Are there other options
besides a tractor?

There are stumps in my yard everywhere. They are very nice stumps,
all
about 3-4 inches high, but more stumps than I care to count. Keeping
the grass
trimmed is an exercise in futility as I will encounter stumps more
often than not.

I would like to take a lawn mower to the stumps but fear what will
happen with all
those damn stumps. What kind of things should I look for when mowing a
really stumpy
lawn? Do I need a special mower, should I simply not do it, would
renting one be
a bad idea?(I'm thinking of damage to the unit), would a mower not do
a good job?
Are there other options besides a hand saw?

Welcome to the northeast. We have tools called picks & shovels and pry
bars here.
I suggest you make an investment.