Old 29-06-2007, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner William Wagner is offline

Default rototilling rocky soil

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Sheldon" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 29, 7:06?am, hobbes wrote:

Hi Ivanna,

The mower that I think will solve your problem is commonly called a
weed-wacker or trimmer. I have one of these:

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/M...ame=hht35sltat

Echo and a number of other manufacturers also make them check out Home
Depot or Lowes.

The way they work is they cut the lawn with a nylon cord. So stumps
etc will not damage the machine.

That's a string trimmer... they're good for trimming and edging...
you'd have to be built like the Incredible Hulk to cut much lawn with
one of those. They also make a machine that uses the same string
principle (but a little more heavy duty) that's mounted on wheels just
like a push mower but still it's for whacking down overgrown lawn/
weeds and very light brush in relatively small areas (really a less
expensive version of a sickle bar), not for mowing lawn... I wouldn't
want to have to push one of those on a slope.

For a large slope where one isn't too fussy about precision lawn
finishing the best choice is a small tractor fitted with a flail
mower... flail mowers handle overgrown grass so you don't need to mow
but every 3-4 weeks. And when I say small tractor I mean a real
tractor, with PTOs and 3 point hitch, not one of those toys r us
riding mowers
sold at Lowes and the Depot... those things hardly have enough power
to carry a grown man over level ground, let alone up a slope.

Those machines are for girly men. This is the trimmer you really want:
http://www.ziddio.com/oneVideo.zd?di...rtifactId=7829

I rented a Bush Wacker 30 years ago when I first moved in. Looked
like a lawn mower with one big difference. It was belt driven so a
stump would not destroy the metal shaft or engine .

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade