Old 29-06-2007, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John E John E is offline

Default Newby tomato question

"middleton.walker" wrote in message
. ..

"John E" wrote in message
I have about 20 tomato plants (planted outdoors in April) which are huge -
large plants, lots of leaf, very thick stems. They have flowers, but so
far have not set fruit.

I suspect the poor weather. I suspect, maybe excess nitrogen in the soil
(they are growing in new raised beds with a layer of manure, with
(Levington) compost on top).

Should I be worried? Or should I relax and wait for another month?

Should I put tomato fertilizer on them, or would it be better to let the
existing minerals leach out a bit to put them under some stress?

Any helpful comments gratefully received.

--

John

Every morning I shake my tomato plants in the belief that the pollen is
givan an assist in "doing its duty".....H

Thanks "H", I have been doing some shaking myself. I just need to keep the
faith.

--

John.