Old 02-07-2007, 10:53 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
[email protected] BarrReport@gmail.com is offline

Default green water

On Jun 26, 3:44 pm, ".D.E."
wrote:
After changing my substrate to RedSea Flourish, my tank has been cloudy and
a dust has been settling on everything. I did rinse the gravel lightly,
against what the bag recommended.
I've had the tank for 6 years now and haven't ANY of these problems.

Parameters:
NO3: 12.5
NO2: .1
Ammonia: 0
Phos: 0
PH 6.8
Iron: 0

40% water change, nothing added. Water still pea green.

66 gallon tank.

These problems started AFTER I replaced the substrate with Red Sea Flora
Base Plant Substrate
The water remained cloudy, plants seem to be covered in some sort of dust
all the time.

Did the black out thing for 5 days. Water looked a little better. Only 80
watts of light on the tank now. Water turning green again.

Suggestions?

--
_____________________________
Later.

Hi DE, never mind the poor tasteless newbie trolls in training. Maybe
someday they will grow up and become real trolls or grow up and become
adults........hope does bloom eternal..

GW often occurs when folks uproot plants, alter their bio cycles a
great deal and then do not follw soon there after with large water
changes, adding zeolite etc. The source of GW inducement is NH4.

Add high light and poor CO2, you wil certainly get GW and add a little
NH4.
The NO2 reading would suggets there was some NH4 and bacterial issues
at some point in the past.

GW may be cured by UV's, Diatom filters etc.
It cannot be resolved through water changes and other methods very
well, it's tough once you have it induced.
It does not harm plant though, so that's the good news.

Once you get rid of it via UV etc, then it will notbother you again.

Regards,
Tom Barr