Old 03-07-2007, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default How well do bat houses work?

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 04:29:30 GMT, "Lilah Morgan"
wrote:

Because I had been hearing noise in the 'green' room that was an add-on to
this place(mobile home) and I thought it was rats/mice(the walls on the
inside, when it was added on, they put insulation in, but nothing covering
it, and we've got stuff to fix that, but it's a 2person job, and mom's been
gone most of last few months staying in town), but tonight mom and I just
happened to be outside next to that room, and I heard the noises again, and
mentioned it to mom, and by the time we started counting all the bats that
flew out, we got to 215/216 before they stopped coming out and the noise
stopped as well. I was just...I couldn't believe it. I figure 2 or 3 dozen
at least flew out before we started counting, so that's probably at least
250 bats living in the walls. And I want them outside...I don't mind them
living on the property, just in their own houses, not OURS!

You have already received some good info from Jack. I'll
just add this link for another Bat organization that is
located at the Cranbrook institute in Bloomfield Hills, MI.

http://www.batconservation.org/

Lots of good information available via that site.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b