Old 03-07-2007, 10:53 PM posted to triangle.gardens
ncstockguy ncstockguy is offline

Default small trees to identify

Thanks, it look a lot like Autumn Olive. I'll research it some more
then do what needs doing....

On Jul 2, 5:43 pm, Steve wrote:
In article . com,

ncstockguy wrote:
Would appreciate if some of the tree/shrub experts here would help
with identifying these small trees that have come up in a wooded area
in the back of our yard.

It looks like Autumn Olive (Elaeagnus umbellata), also called
Silverberry. It is an invasive species and very difficult to get rid
of. You cut it back and it will just send up more shoots. The seeds get
spread by birds. It will grow up in to a thick, inpenetrable thicket.

Here are some more photos for comparison:

http://www.invasive.org/search/actio...0umbellata&Sta...

(although the berries I've seen are more of a dark purple / black, not
the reddish shown in a couple of these photos).

--
Steve