Old 04-07-2007, 04:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default Warning to dogs and people that swim in lakes and ponds

In article ,
wrote:

this is mostly hysteria. the report is a single incident, endlessly
reposted like a virus. of all the hunting dogs jumping into endless
bodies of water to retrieve countless numbers of birds and chomping
drinking the water, I have never heard of this before.

Hysteria.... Only time will tell. All horrible things start with one.
Just hope it ends here. But with the proliferation of pollution, new
diseases, genetic engineering and poor sanitation here and around the
world. It is a good to post a WARNING just in case. An old saying "Hope
for the best, Plan for the worst".

dont take a dog swimming in a stinking pond with a thick foul smelling
scum of algae on top.

Sound Advice to me.

waters of Indiana. Poisoning by the neurotoxins causes rapid death
with or without signs of cholinesterase inhibition. Poisoning by the
hepatotoxins causes massive liver necrosis with severe intrahepatic
hemorrhage and death. Diagnosis is based on history of exposure,
clinical signs,blue-green algae in the GI tract, and necropsy
findings.

Introduction: Blue-green algae are not true algae, but are
cyanobacteria which grow in fresh water in temperate areas world-wide,
including Indiana.
Under the appropriate weather and water conditions, usually in the
late summer or fall after a drought, the blue-green algae can form a
rapidly growing "bloom". These blooms can occur in farm ponds and
larger bodies of water forming a thick, often foul-smelling scum of
brown, to green, to blue-green algae. Winds can then blow the
blue-green algae to the shore and concentrate it where the animals
have to drink it with the water. In many instances, the algae will not

The exception listed below, to be wary. "However, sometimes............."

be poisonous. However, sometimes, for unknown reasons, the blue-green
algae in these blooms form ncuroloxinsor hepatotoxins which can prove
deadly to animals drinking the water."
http://www.addl.purdue.edu/newslette...eenalgae.shtml
Ingrid

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 11:54:22 -0400, "Dan L."
wrote:

Sad, My nephews lab loves the water. I showed him this Sundays Detroit
Free Press article about your dog. Small World, I read this yesterday.
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2007707010538

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.