Old 04-07-2007, 11:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default Second planting of peas

said:

I live in Pittsburgh PA, and was wondering when would be a good time
to plant a second crop of snow peas. I have tried in the past, and it
seems as if I did not have good germination. July's normal temperature
is usually in the lower 80s, but we can have days in the 90s also.
Does higher temperatures affect the germination rate?

When the soil temperature gets too high, the peas won't germinate.

Peas will begin to germinate at soil temps of 40 deg F. The won't
germinate at all if soil temps get to 85 deg. Bare soil in the hot sun
when air temperatures are in the 80s and 90s is too warm for peas
to germinate. Shading the ground could help.

Pea plants don't like hot temperatures. A couple of days near or
above 90 deg. really stresses the plants and inhibits flowering.

Early April was nasty here, so I planted my peas late (it didn't
help that the first packet I bought was infested with weevils!)
and then just as they were starting to flower we had some hot,
hot days. Not so many snap peas this year.

*sigh*

(attributed to Don Marti)