Old 04-07-2007, 08:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Aquaplancton pond clarifier

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 12:11:30 CST, John
wrote:

Has anyone used this product? Does it work? Is it safe? It's
expensive!

http://www.aquaplancton.co.uk/index.php

Rounding... 2+ pounds of product for less than $40, US, for the smallest
tub.
Small Ponds: Buy the kilo tub and use 450 grams per square metre
(1-lb to every 10sq ft). Yikes!

It sounds like it might be a buffer (baking soda type stuff) and a bacteria
like BZT. http://www.united-tech.com/m-aq4u-toc.html

At first I thought it might be a good buy, but not at the quality you have
to use. Better to manually clean the bottom (shop-vac) if a small pond, fix
the pH by adding baking soda or some buffering agent. Provide water tests
and people here can suggest best results, then buy just the bacteria. I
paid $30 w/shipping for BZT, but only use 1.5 tsp to maintain.... and
usually after a few initial treatments stop that. Thankfully it has a long
shelf life.

But, if you don't want to mess with all that, and we're talking a bigger
pond, this might be a good idea.

If not here, if you get any feedback elsewhere from someone who has used
it, let us know. ~ jan

Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us