Old 06-07-2007, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
steve auvache steve auvache is offline

Default Newby tomato question

In article , Mary
Fisher writes

"John E" wrote in message
I have about 20 tomato plants (planted outdoors in April) which are huge -
large plants, lots of leaf, very thick stems. They have flowers, but so far
have not set fruit.

I suspect the poor weather. I suspect, maybe excess nitrogen in the soil
(they are growing in new raised beds with a layer of manure, with
(Levington) compost on top).

Should I be worried? Or should I relax and wait for another month?

Should I put tomato fertilizer on them, or would it be better to let the
existing minerals leach out a bit to put them under some stress?

Any helpful comments gratefully received.

--

John

In my experience if you have flowers you'll get fruit. They are VERY tiny
and green at first.

The term "63 days from flower to fruit" springs to mind, although I have
no idea if that refers to the flower first showing or final pollination.
either way it is a bit over 2 months.

Don't panic :-)

Good advice.

--
steve auvache
The only good slug is the one now residing two doors up.