Old 06-07-2007, 10:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default The new lawn tractor is home, Ok thanks for busting my balls, links with pics of (some grass)

Clark said:

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
Clark said:

OK warning, yes there is still Christmas lights on the house, after all
it's
only July.

Where is this? The Missouri "bootheel"? =P

Please note this is our first full year in this house and we still have a
lot of work to do.

Like Sarge said, get off yer PC and get to it! I can see why you chose the
property. Looks quite peaceful. =) Where are you located? Looks midwest,
maybe a bit on the southern edge?

I'm doing billing ( I haven't billed in a month and a half), today and would
rather be doing anything else
The house (Me too) is in Southampton M.A. 01073

Wow, I'd have never guessed east coast. Cool. =)

The roof, finish the barn, (notice the new shingles on the barn) and yes
we
need to plant more grass.
Everywhere you see bald patches is where there used to be 3 or 4 inches
of
leaves and pine needles (and where you see new grass too)
I've been paying $40.00 a 25lb bag (Scotts) so if you could tell where to
buy cheaper good seed I'd appreciate that.

You're paying for the name. Locate your local co-op and buy your seed
there. They should have just about any type you wish, and blends that will
work well with the shade you have.

Tried Tractor Supply (I setup their Server, Client computers and the Point
of sale equipment),
the grass took forever to come up, 2nd week (the Scotts 5 days)

You put them down at the same time? If not, the germination rate may have
differed due to a lot of factors (weather, amount of shade, etc.) Even so,
a few days difference in the wait time doesn't seem worth the cost
difference, to me.

Any landscaping tips would also be welcome.

Links:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=5z54dts

I'm diggin' the rock wall. Lotta things you could do with that. It's
amazing what you can plant in the cracks.

Never thought of that... I'll see what the boss thinks (Kathy)

Look for plants that prefer drier conditions, and little or even no soil.
There's a lot of cool ones, but I'm not sure you'd have the length of
summer for some.

You could probably get some Sedum or Sempervivum to grow well, as well as
Portulaca (though it really needs full sun, for best flowering). There's a
LOT of varieties of each. It's hard to tell from the photos how much sun
the wall gets, but it looks pretty shady. If it's possible to remove a
stone here and there , you can fill the gap with a *quality* garden mix
(check with local composting companies), and increase the variety of plants
you can grow. I'd stay away from annuals (you'll just be replacing the soil
every year, as the rootball pulls it out), but there's a lot of perennials
that grow in your area, that are drought tolerant.

I wouldn't over do it, and I'd stay away from ivy. Splashes of color here
and there along the wall will really set it off, IMO.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6giwvg6

Looks like a Matteuccia struthiopteris coming up near the tree line.
Relocate it back into the woods before you start mowing that area. =)

Matteuccia struthiopteris ? gotta google that

=)

Here's some reading for those billing breaks:

http://www.umassgreeninfo.org/fact_s...eriscaping.pdf
http://www.umassgreeninfo.org/fact_s...perennials.pdf
http://www.umassgreeninfo.org/fact_s...ntculture.html

[Borked OE quoting snipped]

G/L
--

Eggs

Are part-time band leaders semi-conductors?