Old 06-07-2007, 11:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default Looking for experienced person with Scag

Bob said:

I have been evaluating mowers for the last three weeks and have
found a lot of info' about various brands, some good but a lot not
so good.

I thought I was interested in a Cub Cadet zero turn with a steering
wheel instead of two handle bars. After reading and looking at
them, this is out for me - deck quite flimsy, poorly built. I
think, but may be wrong, that it is made by MTD, which is generally
a cheaply built machine, but not too bad for the price.

MTD makes CubCadet, Troy-Bilt, Yard-Man, White Outdoor, CubCadet
Commercial, Yard Machines, GardenWay, Ryobi, and Bolens (and probably a few
others).

So far, the Scag Freedom Z has caught my attention. Very pricy at
$5300, but certainly well built, convenient controls and something
that should last me for the rest of my life (I'm 73).

Price doesn't necessarily mean longevity, but you probably know that better
than I.

I'd like to hear from those who have a Scag and particularly the
Freedom Z model. I'd appreciate your comments - good or bad, as
well as other comments.

Sorry, I can't help with the Scag, as I've no experience with it. Something
else to consider, though:

We've been testing some ZTR mowers at work, all commercial models and well
above the price of the Scag you're looking at. So far, most everyone has
been impressed with them with the exception of one detail: the inside
wheel, during turns. If you don't do it "just right", it can leave a pretty
good mark (even tearing turf). I realize that most of that issue is due to
the rider's inexperience with a ZTR mower, but there's not a lot of places
to practice them at a country club, not to mention a lot of time. I've a
feeling we're going to be replacing our 48" walk behind's with 400 Series
Grasshoppers. If you want 'solid', it's definately the brand for you. They
have "entry level" mowers (20 HP, 41" Deck) starting at $4995. The decks
are as heavy-gauge as I've ever seen on a mower. The engines are quiet and
smooth, and will cut about 7 acres an hour. That ain't bad. =)

http://www.grasshoppermower.com/

HTH
--

Eggs

My weight is perfect for my height.... which varies.