Old 31-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Susan Ford

Default NEWBIE HELP: How to seed?

I would recomend getting the book "New Seed Starter's Handbook by Nancy
Bulbel. This book has all the information you need to learn how to grow from
seed, and then some. It's a terrific reference.

Susan

"Nick Thudick" wrote in message
Hello,

I've been an amateur gardener for a few years, and I am interested in
learning more.

One thing I've never understood is seeding. The directions are a little
confusing, but I'd like to have more success.

First, what is the "last heavy spring frost"?

Also, what is a "seed starting formula"? I've read about soil-less
mixtures. This boggles my mind. How the hell did these plants survive
if they need to be started in soil-less mixtures, and then fertilized
when their leaves emerge?

And instructions like, "Sow seeds 6" apart"....does that mean take one
seed and plant it 6" apart from the other one. I know that's probably
it, but some of these seeds are pretty tiny, and I was wondering if it
would be better to plant a few together.

Sorry if these sound like stupid questions, and thanks for any advice!

---Nick