Old 31-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Cereoid+10+

Default Can/should I move common speedwell to between flagstones?

Is this your Turkish Veronica?

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/p...dem/Z750.shtml

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/psel/ps9705.html

spampot wrote in message ...
Cereoid+10+ wrote:
There are several different creeping annual Veronica species currently
flowering in the DC/Baltimore metro area. If you look at them carefully,

you
will see differences in the flowers, inflorescence, fruit capsules, leaf
shape and pubescence.

The "Turkish Veronica" to which you allude is probably a perennial

species.
Since several different species of Veronica occur in Turkey, could you
provide tha actual species name?

Veronica liwanensis.

The annual species will die before summer but the perennials will

persist.
The latter are sometimes used as ground cover.

Ah, I see. Thanks for pointing this out.

spampot wrote in message

My van Bourgondien catalogue recommends, among other things, Turkish
Veronica as a rugged creeper for use in rock gardens on sunlit paths.
At a cost of $8 per plant. The picture doesn't look that different from
the common speedwell that is now blooming in the DC/Baltimore metro
area. Can I just move whatever local stuff I find into my flagstone
path? That is, of course I know I CAN, but will it serve to keep out
other weeds and behve just like the expensive stuff?