Old 09-07-2007, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Jeffrey L. Kline Jeffrey L. Kline is offline

Default Help -- Rose pruning question

Hey John;

I have several once blooming ramblers and I prune them much the same as
Gail. In general, Old World roses bloom on last year's canes, so cutting
out the older beat-up canes is a good idea, as it leaves the newer canes to
produce flowers next year. As for when, anytime after the bloom cycle is
good, but unlike modern roses, not in the spring, as it will reduce the
blooming rate.
How much can you prune? Well I've run over mine with a lawn mower and
they've come back. On the other hand, Gail's approach seems more prudent.

Good luck

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
"John W" wrote in message
I have what I think is a rambler rose bush. It has a massive bloom late
spring to early summer. Now they (flowers) are all dead and I have a
massive
bush. Can I prune this way back so I can see the fence again?. Is now the
time to do this. Any help appreciated

THANKS

jOHN

I generally prune ramblers and climbers to
make it comfortable for me to walk around
them. That isn't scientific, but so far
has worked. I'm not sure I'd prune yours
back a lot - but you can probably do a
fair amount of trimming with no harm.

What you might want to do is cut out
some of the older canes, usually the