Old 13-07-2007, 03:43 AM posted to rec.gardens,sci.bio.botany,rec.gardens.orchids,bionet.plants
Andrew Andrew is offline

Default Ever heard of this website?

On Jul 12, 10:58 pm, wrote:
I went towww.flytrapfarm.comand bought some plants, they were very
interesting when I received them in the mail. I live in Virginia and
I had never heard of these, they are so cool! Anyone have thoughts on
these carnivorous plants?

Yes. I found the following on their website:
http://www.flytrapfarm.com/article05feb06.pdf
The article states:
"People with collector's permits [gather] them for us," said office
manager Audrey Sigmon. "They are [easily] found along highways,
in the Green Swamp and nature trails." The state Department of
Agriculture has placed traps on its list of plants of special concern,
meaning that is illegal to harvest them from the wild without a permit
and written permission of the landowner. Fly-Trap Farm
strictly complies with state guidelines in its collection practices.

The stocklist on the flytrapfarm website shows a fairly limited range
of readily available carnivorous plants. I find anything I'd consider
rare. Can you clarify flytrap farms collecting practices, given that
the material being sold is so easily available and adaptable to in
vitro propagation as to make legal wild collection, even for the stock
material, unnecessary?