Old 18-07-2007, 06:46 PM posted to triangle.gardens
ncstockguy ncstockguy is offline

Default small trees to identify

I may have found the mother plant of these eleagnus trees. It is now
covered with small pinkish-red berries. Does that sound like Autumn
Olive to you?
I hesitate to taste berries when not fairly sure of the species of
tree.

On Jul 11, 9:58 am, !! (Kira Dirlik) wrote:
They are edible, and my son likes them and makes a jam out of them,
but they are so small, it's not worth it. Their 2 weeks of delicious
smell in the Spring makes me keep some groves around. (Well, no way
to remove them all in our neighborhood, anyway.... thousands, no
exaggeration).
Kira

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 13:25:20 -0700, ncstockguy
wrote:

I see some types have edible berries? Are yours edible? That will
probably enter into whether I take them all out and go looking to kill
more, or keep a few around.

On Jul 5, 11:00 am, !! (Kira Dirlik) wrote:
My 7 acre lot was completely covered with eleagnus. Mine is
deciduous, has reddish and yellow berries in the fall, and
good-smelling light yellow flowers in the spring. It is horribly
invasive. I have pulled hundred of them. Luckily they grow back
slowly, but this year there is a huge "bumper crop" of them coming
back all over. I have left one batch purposely as a privacy hedge,
and as long as you stay on top of it, it won't become invasive. Mine
had a 60 year start when I got the lot.
Kira