Old 19-07-2007, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
steve auvache steve auvache is offline

Default Onion Seeds versus Onion Sets

In article , John Vanini
writes
Every year I have bought onion sets and have had a reasonable success rate
but I am considering, for the coming year, growing from seed. Has anyone any
experience of this and can advise me of the advantages and the
disadvantages.- and, perhaps, suggest any particular variety? I have looke4d
at the on-line catalogues but can't really make up my mind which to go for.

Growers of exhibition onions, who strive for ever larger bulbs would not
even consider growing from sets for the simple reason that on average
they do yield marginally smaller onions. Scientifically conducted tests
by eminent bodies confirm these old wive's tales to be correct. The
same studies suggest that average differences in size are marginal when
onions are grown for the table.

The reason for using sets is money for the commercial grower and
convenience for the amateur. I think onions grown from sets are fine,
if a little expensive.

My reasons or wanting to change this year is that, the sets always get too
many small onions that never seem to do very well and, though they grow,
they remain fairly small.

This will always happen regardless of whether you grow from seed or set
and it is one of the factors that contribute to my statement above,
although the manner in which you grow them, particularly crop spacing,
will also affect the final size. If you can find it get yourself a copy
of the now out of print Know and Grow Vegetables and use that as your
vegetable growing bible.

Size is not everything, is it not reasonable to assume that onions, in
common with most other vegetables, have a finer flavour when grown to be
smaller?

Also, I have no idea what type of onion they are
(this is because I buy them from my allotment shop and they don't seem
certain as to the type they've bought!!!)

Shame on you and shame on them. How can you possibly experiment with
different varieties to get the best to suit you if you do not know their
names?

As regards the position of my garden (which may well make a difference as to
what varieties I can grow) I live in Sussex, not far from the coast.

Onions are very tolerant of a wide variety of climatic conditions and
grow quite happily from Siberia to Sierra Leone. Look to your soil and
technique if you are less than successful.

--
steve auvache
A Bloo one with built in safety features