Old 01-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Wayfarer

Default HOA pounds lady over Wildscape - write Austin HB 645!

I lived in an exclusive neighborhood in Littleton (suburb of Denver) that
had a very rigid HOA -- all landscaping had to be pre-approved, painting
your house (even the same) had to submit paint samples in advance, could not
park in driveway (had to park in garage and if you had too many cars too
bad) -- they even told you when you needed to weed your yard. If you did
not comply they would put a lien on the property and take you to court --
even succeeded in garnishing one homeowner's pay. The HOA always won. At
the time I hated it but my property value soared and things always looked
nice.

Now in northwest Austin I have people living next to me that would make the
people in Jeff Foxworthy's jokes seem high class -- pontoon boats in the
front yard -- trailers -- people running auto repair shops out of the homes
(and all of the available parking spots in front of all the adjacent
neighbors -- yards that look abandoned -- the property values on my street
are $10.70 a square foot less than on other streets in the same
neighborhood.

I agree with those that suggest the person landscape her backyard as she
likes (within reason -- that is within limits that would not include garbage
or health concerns) BUT that when her "rights" impinge significantly on
others she should consider theirs as well as her own. Next time I move I
will be looking for a neighborhood that protects my property values.

--
Marta
(if you email me directly you need to remove the X )