Old 21-07-2007, 03:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
chatnoir chatnoir is offline

Default looks like a raccoon visit - picture

On Jul 17, 10:53 am, k wrote:
Woke up this morning to thishttp://tinyurl.com/2wjjlt

This is what the island normally looks likehttp://tinyurl.com/39e6n3

The labradors shot out the door and went on a sniff
frenzy. To me, the damage and the sniff frenzy, looks
to be raccoon(s). The girls treed three of them this
winter and they never go on a sniff frenzy when the
heron visits.

I do not plan to take any defensive action. Just think it's
interesting to see the interaction of nature in the suburban
backyard.

I'll post the predator hints on another thread for those folks who can
use them. Jan and I did a bit of revising on them.

k :-)

Let the Labs stay out at night! I Have my pond surrounded by four
feet high chicken wire! On top of that I have a frame and pond
netting covering the pond to about 6.5 feet high! Had four young
coons all over the structure for the last three nights! They did not
get in! Did not see the mother, so maybe something happened to her!
My grape vines look like your destroyed pond island; but they did not
break through the bird netting! Last year I had two adult raccoons do
the same thing as these youngsters! They devestated the grape vines;
but they also did not get through the bird netting!