Old 21-07-2007, 06:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
tinytee tinytee is offline

Default California Lilac looks like it is dying :(

On Jul 15, 9:45 pm, "Goldlexus" wrote:
My cal. lilac is turning brownish. I have never had to water it during the
summer and it has always been very green a lovely all season long. This year
it is starting to turn a brownish color and looks like it has lost a lot of
leaves. Our neighbors sprinkler system has a leak and was leaking well over
a week before they turned it off. The didn't even know it was leaking, duh,
I had to go over and tell them. The neighbor still hasn't fixed their leak,
they just turn their sprinkler system on/off manually but have forgotten it
last week for 2 days. Our property got the run off from the leak right where
my lilac is. Would too much water cause this? Well it rebound?

Oh no! I absolutely adore this shrub, from its small evergreen leaves
to its tiny bloom of blue flowers. i have bought a few of these and
had to leave a couple of them behind due to moving. However, I have
just bought myself 2 new ones, but when I transplanted them most of
the leaves on the bottom of the shrubs turned brown and fell off. I
think this was because I forgot to water them before taking them out
of the pots and putting them in the ground. They have recovered now
though, although I did think i was going to lose them. These are
surprisingly sensitive plants. I also, think that if they are given
the opportunity to dry out, they just might recover. Fingers crossed
for you!!