Old 24-07-2007, 05:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
Rachael Simpson Rachael Simpson is offline

Default Pampas Grass -

Cheryl Cato wrote:
dyork wrote:
I have some Pampas Grass my back yard and I've noticed when I walk
past it I can hear an occasional popping noise. Well yesterday we were
on my back screened in porch and it sounded like popcorn popping
coming from the pampas grass. We heard it for about 3 minutes and then
it stopped. Has anyone else ever heard this kind of noise coming from
their pampas grass? What kind of critter is it and what do I treat my
pampas grass with to kill whatever it is?

Donna/N.C.

Here in Texas - grasshoppers are common culprits.

Cheryl
Burleson Co. TX
Zone 8b

common residents here are crickets, grasshoppers, *frogs*, fireflies,
katydids, sometimes field mice, occasionally a snake....what
animal/bug/possible pest would make a popping sound?!? as the others
have said, you have to look in your grass, then we might can tell how to
treat it, if it is truly a problem. if your pampas grass is thriving,
why would you want to possibly harm it to treat an unknown? chances are,
nothing is actually harming your grass. if you have been hearing this
sound for awhile, you should have noticed if it was affecting your
pampas by now. here the only popping noise we hear in the yards would be
an electric fence when grass/sticks, etc. is on it, or a bug zapper.

rae,
also in nc