Old 24-07-2007, 10:39 PM
JNTDAD JNTDAD is offline
Registered User

Location: South central England

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vanini View Post
Every year I have bought onion sets and have had a reasonable success rate
but I am considering, for the coming year, growing from seed. Has anyone any
experience of this and can advise me of the advantages and the
disadvantages.- and, perhaps, suggest any particular variety? I have looke4d
at the on-line catalogues but can't really make up my mind which to go for.

My reasons or wanting to change this year is that, the sets always get too
many small onions that never seem to do very well and, though they grow,
they remain fairly small. Also, I have no idea what type of onion they are
(this is because I buy them from my allotment shop and they don't seem
certain as to the type they've bought!!!)

As regards the position of my garden (which may well make a difference as to
what varieties I can grow) I live in Sussex, not far from the coast.

Regards,

John
I have grown sets this year (Sturon, Setton and Red baron) due to local damp conditions half the sets have grown to a reasonable size but about 50% have either bolted or the leaves have folded over early preventing further growth - these have then lain on the wet ground and started to rot. I have also grown Ailsa Craig from seed - started in Feb under heated conditions in sead tray (on kitchen window sill) and when about 2.5" tall planted out 6" apart in final place in garden

The seed grown onions are still fully upright and continuing to grow while the sets have all collapsed and i am now having to harvest early - some are a good size (5" across) but smaller and less consistent than the seed variety.

Unfortunately Ailsa craig are not renownd for keeping so will be growing Red baron and Rinjsberger from seed next year.