Old 24-07-2007, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Alan Sung Alan Sung is offline

Default Poison Ive and wells

"Sheldon" wrote in message
ups.com...
"Fred" wrote:
I have quite a bit of poison ivy growing near my well. I was considering
using an herbicide like Ortho or Roundup but I'm concerned about the
chemical getting into my drinking water. Does anyone know if using this

near
a well should be a concern?

Round up will kill poison ivy completely but no brand of defoliant is
permanent, eventually poison ivy may invade again...

One technique if you want to avoid overspray or unwanted spray onto the
ground is to brush the Roundup directly onto the leaves using a cheapo foam
brush. You don't have to coat every single leaf. A little bit of Roundup
goes a long way. A repeat treatment is almost always required for poison
ivy. This technique works particularly well when the poison ivy is running
up the side of a tree and you can easily stand right next to the leaves. I'm
not sure how you would handle a huge patch on the ground.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 6a)