Old 25-07-2007, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Kingdon Jim Kingdon is offline

Default Poison Ive and wells

Pulling out poison ivy plants never works, if even the tinest bit of
root remains it won't be too very long and the plant will grow back,
stronger than ever.

Pulling out poison ivy has worked for me.

There was one major set of passes last summer, which got the big, huge
roots and stems (use the leaves to follow the vines downward, keep
following and dig out roots; try not to just break off vines). Some
touch-up work a few times later in the summer to get what I had missed
before. About 2 or 3 rounds this spring of pulling up whatever was
left. But those were really minor.

Wear leather gloves and long sleves. After coming inside, all the
clothes go directly in the laundry and you go directly in the shower.
Even if you think you are immune this is a good precaution as I've
read that sensitivity to poison ivy will increase with repeated
exposure.

So maybe a total of 20 hours (wild guess) spread over a year (but
mostly at the start of that time period). This was for a patch which
was maybe 10 feet by 10 feet (growing up a fence, a tree, a bunch of
shrubs, and a dead stump). Pruning back the general overgrowth in
that area (English Ivy, Wisteria, shrubs, periwinkle) made it easier
to get at the poison ivy.