Old 01-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Frank Mamone

Default yellow labs = algae grazers = swords becoming lunch

Hi Rich,

Thanks for clearing this up. Nothing speaks better than experience. I have a
Rift Lake tank but don't have plants in it.

One planted tank is enough!

"Rich Conley" wrote in message
totally disagree with you on 2 points there....my labs only seem to eat

the
leaves that are dying anyway....so if theyre just planted swords..they

may be
emersed growth dying off....and mine eat java moss like its candy....I

agree
with you on the java fern though...I think it tastes bad.

Frank Mamone wrote:

It's a well known fact that plants and cichlids don't go well together.

They
either uproot them or eat/destroy them.

If you want to keep plants with cichlids you should well with Java moss

or
Java fern. I heard that it has a bitter taste which they don't like.

Regards,

Frank

"350X_Rider" wrote in message
I've got 2 Yellow Labs in a 29g, recenly planted 2 amazon swords....

I'm watching and waiting for the leaves to drop, and the new ones to

come
in... they are....

problem is, yesterday, I saw, I witnessed a yellow lab, tearing up one

of
the leaves that had some algae on the edges of the leaf... he just bit

it,
backed up and flinched and a piece of leaf came off in his mouth, he

spit
it
out, and went on to another piece of leaf.... what a buttmunch!!!

Does anyone else have a problem with yellow labs eating amazons? or

any
plants in general???? or just ones that have algae on the tips????

THanks...