Old 30-07-2007, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
[email protected] BarrReport@gmail.com is offline

Default NO3 toxicity and it's application to planted tank dosing via KNO3

On Jul 28, 10:02 am, Marco Schwarz wrote:
Hi..

By accident I once subjected a tankfull of plants and
Ammano shrimp to 200ppm nitrate for 3 week. No ill effects
whatsoever.

200 ppm == 200 milligrams per litre

Richard, sorry but what shall it show us..?

Amano shrimps are brackish shrimps and brackish animals are
well known to be very very very tolerant relating to high
leveled NH4+, NO2-, NO3-- ..!!!

High NO3 concentrations might inhibit the fertilisation rate
of the Amanos but unfortunately Amanos aren't able to
reproduce in freshwater - even not if it's
NO3_contaminated..! ;-)

Just another data point.

Absolutely..! :-)

--
cu
Marco, wondering and wondering and wondering..

Cl- helps with NO3 toxicity. However, this was not added.
It's not just any salt, it's specific cation and anion combinations.
Ghost shrimp and Daphnia make excellent toxicity test critters.

These can be tested in small tanks (Jars) with water sprite and light
etc to see the effects on KNO3 dosing on them.

You'll note, the article suggest rather high levels for a number of
species of invertebrates, however, the group as a whole is much more
sensitive to NO3 than are most fish on the list.

While not specific to each species, the article gives fairly
significant support to the claims many have placed on low NO3 causing
issues, rather, I would suggest, it is NH4, and NO3 is namely a
leftover residual that is being blamed merely by correlation is most
cases in this hobby.

We can see how detrimental NH4 and NO2 are to aquatic life.
Extreme.

NO3?
Almost non toxic by comparison.

The point?
KNO3 dosing/going above the target(which is bound to happen), it far
less cause for alarm or worry of poses a significant health threat as
many have historically claimed , without testing or reviewing the
research done I might add

You should test what you __say__ before saying it. Common sense.
Then you discuss it and see what seems most reasonable, then test that
and so on...........

I often wonder all the things that are said in the hobby and why folks
claim authority etc, when what they say is often shallow at best, and
out right wrong at worst. So I test to see. If I cannot show that, I
propose an alternative hypothesis that makes more sense given the
observations and go from there.

I might never arrive at the ultimate truth or cuase, But ..........I
will get a lot close than the folks caliming things without even
bothering to test them to see for themselves.

NH4 can be add
NO3 can be added
NO3/NH4 can be added
Organic sournce of N can be added that are transformed into NH4 first.

That way you can tease apart who's doing what and find the real
culprit.

I've been dosing KNO3 for 12 years, I've never seen any toxicity until
I got way outside the bounds of normal ranges suggested.

The research also supports that.
While folks are welcome to skeptism, they are also obliged to offer
support and an alternative to such skeptism, just as I have done
against such past advice often. Simply saying it, belief etc does not

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com