Old 31-07-2007, 03:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
John Varigos John Varigos is offline

Default Dimorphorchis rossii plant

Al, a nice flowering of a not often seen species. Well done.

I have been fortunate to see this species flowering in Tenom Agricultural
Park, Borneo. I lovely sight indeed.

~John

"Al" wrote in message
A picture of the plant and inflorescence of Dimorphorchis rossii: The long
sparse rope of flowers left of center. This genus has only two species in
it; Dim. lowii and Dim rossii. Both species have two different forms of
complete flowers on a single inflorescence. In Dim rossii the first three
flowers are solid orange and very fragrant and the remaining flowers are
yellowish with spots and non-fragrant. Both forms have pollen and
stigmatic
openings indicating to me that they are both fertile both ways, but I do
not
know. I pollinated a yellow to orange and there appears to be some
capsule
development. I pollinated an orange to a yellow and do not yet see
evidence
of capsule development.

(The giant basket of plant hanging in the background with the short spike
of
orange flowers is Lueddemannia pescatorei. Very short spike this year,
about 12 inches. It can produce a rope of orange flowers about 3 feet
long
and even longer, but it is very overgrown in that basket and needs help.
have never succeeded in getting this plant to produce seed.)