Old 01-08-2007, 12:00 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Ded Objekts In Veevoh Ded Objekts In Veevoh is offline

Default Dumping Arbitrary pH

That's my plan. I'll watch pH, because I can, but I won't play with
it. I'm putting Silicate and Borate in to enable the metabolism of
transition metals. I was putting Phosphate in, but someone tells me
that plants need it more in their roots than in their leaves. If it's
in their roots, then plants can draw metals out of the water.

As trace mineral sources, I hav Brazil Nut shells and corrosion
resistant pot scrubbers. Iif I can just get the composition of the
soil right... A major portion,
methinks, oughta be silt -- perhaps from the birch log that feeds my
daphnia (if they survive this third trial). I'm not sure how much peat
and clay, probably about 10...40...30..20 compost to silt to peat to
clay.

Most other numbers can rot in a politician's mouth. I'll watch some of
them, but I didn't get into this watching the numbers, so I don't
think I will start. Maybe I'll put a mineral supplement in, but the K
and P seem to be dead ends.

CO2? Between the fish, the airstone, decaying detritus, and carbonate
in the minerals, there oughta be enough.
_______
a href="http://ecn.ab.ca/~brewhaha/New_Tank_Syndrome.htm"One step in
the wrong direction for man is expensive./a