Old 01-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Penny Morgan

Default natural area

You can use the grass clippings as mulch if you want to, but the drawback is
that it won't look very fresh like mulch or pinestraw. Grass is actually a
very healthy mulch for plants because it breaks down and provides nitrogen,
provides protection from weeds and retains moisture. It really acts the
same as other mulches except that it provides more nutrients. You could add
a thick layer of grass clippings in the natural area and then top with a
thin layer of hardwood mulch or pinestraw to ensure that it looks fresh. I
use grass clippings as a mulch on my vegetable gardens. I first layer the
beds with sections of newspaper and then put the grass on top. If it's
fresh, be careful not to let it touch the plants because it will become very
hot and burn the plants while decomposing. You can spread the clippings out
on a tarp for a few days and let it brown up first. If your question was
about mowing and mulching the clippings to leave on your lawn, that is also
a very good way to continuously feed your lawn. After I finish mulching my
gardens, I usually mow and let the mulched clippings stay in the grass. You
don't see the grass unless you wait too long between mowings and the blades
of grass are really tall. Hope this answers your questions.

Penny
"Lance R." wrote in message
Is there any problem with using grass clippings as a bedding in my natural
area? Or should I always mulch the grass and buy some pine straw or bark?

--
Lance