Old 03-08-2007, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jan Flora Jan Flora is offline

Default Q: Bush bean disease?

Hey Folks:

I've never grown bush beans before. My Blue Lake bean
seedlings are developing a lighter green area on the
leaf tips (about 1/4 to 1/2 of the area of the leaf,
starting at the tip) and curling *upwards.*

Some of the seedlings came in stunted and the leaves
blistered, so I pulled them and will burn them.

Only a few of the larger plants are affected by the
light tissue & curling.

No bugs are in residence. Topsoil from under the alders
in my yard & 30 year old composted cow poop is in the bins.
I put codfish bonemeal and some prilled lime in the bins
before planting. I fertilize with a fish emulsion made of
razor clam gurry. (It's a local product. It stinks, so it's
probably good stuff. The tomato plants sure like it!)

The bins are lined with felted Typar. (Driveway cloth.)

I don't know if I have a disease or a management problem
going here, but I suspect disease. The seed came from
Lilly Miller (Ferry-Morse) at the feed store.

Everything else in the little pocket greenhouse is thriving
like crazy.

I don't have a digital camera to take photos...

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Jan in Alaska