Old 01-04-2003, 10:08 PM
burl

Default bamboo

I've started to think that only Panda's should be allowed to plant bamboo.
It took us about 5 years to get some bamboo back under control.

I think it's suggested to dig in a 24" deep barrier around the bamboo. I'd
suggest renting a trencher and dropping in a metal barrier.

"Penny Morgan" wrote in message
.. .
Before you plant any bamboo, get a book from the library or search the
internet for information. Bamboo spreads very quickly and will become
invasive like you wouldn't believe. It sends runners under the soil (you
won't see them) and will invade foundations, sidewalks, pipes, etc.

If you want to have them spread behind your house in a thick forest, make
sure it is VERY FAR from your house. There are some varieties of bamboo
that are not invasive also. Do some research first. A good

nursery/garden
center should be able to order some for you or recommend a place to find

it.
I had some neighbors who had lots of wild bamboo behind their house and it
started to spread into the back yard. It's very hard to control and kill.
I'm sorry if I sound negative, but I don't want you to get yourself in a
nightmare situation before being warned. Like I said, there are some
beautiful varieties that are not invasive. Good luck.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
Requester wrote in message ...
ok now i want to plant bamboo and create a huge forest of them behind my
house. first questino is where do you find them? i have some from a thai
store that i have in water they have roots. can i plant them outside?

will
2 bamboo stalks create more and more? how do they spread?
thanks

I definitely can't live without rice!