Old 06-08-2007, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Vanini John Vanini is offline

Default Onion Seeds versus Onion Sets

Thanks for the info, Mark,

As a matter of interest, I'm planning on sowing T & M's Hi-Keeper F1 hybrid
onions instead of the usual "Japanese" variety that I have been planting in
October/November.

The instructions on the packet say, "Sow September outdoors", which is what
I intend to do so that I can let them over-winter, just like the Japanese
onions..

The packet then goes on to say, "Harvest June from over-wintered sowings",
which again is what I intended.

I can't see any problem with that but if you can. I'd be grateful for your
input.

I still haven't decided which seeds to buy and to sow for the Spring
sown/Autumn harvested onions.

Regards and thanks again,

John

"mark4asp" wrote in message

As David noted you must initially grow the seeds in seed trays (using
sterile compost ~ = 4 months) until you can clearly identify the bulb
because seeds planted directly into the ground will be overwhelmed by
weeds.

Sets must be planted, say in Febuary but harvested in late summer. Seeds
may be planted earlier in a greenhouse and can be harvested the next
year - so you can grow for much longer. Some people start seeds in
spring and plant in late summer or August to let the onion grow over the
winter. The advantage of sets is that you clearly know when the correct
time to harvest is - not always so clear-cut with seeds.