Old 01-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Frank Mamone

Default Nitrate levels and Algae

That's what I thought I read..and I'm sure it's true, but don't fully
understand why.

"350X_Rider" wrote in message
I could be wrong, but was my understanding, that the LACK of nitrAtes,

would
lead to algae taking over.... increasing nitrAte, will block off algae, by
making the plants suck it out of the water, and by this, not allowing the
algae any competition.....

The desired nitrate level is 5-10ppm.

I've read this a hundred times, and recently was convinced to get some

PMDD
from Dominic, and now I'm waiting to see what happens...

then again, I could be so far off that I'm not even seeing how far off I
am...

What is the relationship between nitrates and algae. In non-planted

tanks
it's been said that reducing the nitrates will help control the algae.

Since in a planted tank, the plants need nitrates, what is that best
strategy to keep algae down and have enough nitrates for the plants.

In my case my nitrates are somewhere between 0-5ppm and have some algae

but
don't want it to get out of control. I have three ottos but may not be
enough.

Thanks,

Frank