Old 05-08-2007, 11:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Galen Hekhuis Galen Hekhuis is offline

Default Sick fish, bad worm

On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 12:50:26 CST, ~ jan wrote:

Thought I'd mention, beware what you throw your fish from the yard.

I found a worm along side the pond... now the worm was a tad odd in that it
wasn't moving as fast as I thought it should, but I didn't think too much
about it. Just a moment of hesitation I should have heeded, but my arm was
already in automatic toss. I'm not sure which fish ate it.... but the next
day, one of my oldest was sitting firmly on the bottom, not interested in
eating.

Oh dear! Long story short, DH said, maybe it was something he ate, and I
remembered the worm. It took about 3 days for him to return to normal, and
all things are fine now. I'm thinking if I find a worm, I'll be soaking it
in water to clear it's gut... just in case it has traveled thru some slug
bait or other and has it in it's gut... or maybe it is just safer not to
feed worms at all, at least at my house?

I don't treat real close to the ponds, but I do put stuff on the ground, as
the earwigs, slugs, snails have been the worst I've ever seen this year.

I wonder how this stuff might affect Robins and other worm eating critters?
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

That's one reason I am real reluctant to use any pesticides. That
stuff has got to go somewhere. If the bugs eat the poison, other
critters may eat the bugs. If the bugs just die, other bacteria and
ants and fungus and stuff will either eat or release the poison. The
stuff that doesn't get eaten washes (somewhere) during the next rain.
It's true that I have spiders and even a small frog from time to time
in the house,
(http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...khuis/Frog.jpg)
but I don't have cockroaches, ants or other "pests" that seem to
plague others. I think maybe it's my high tolerance for spiders and
other beneficial critters that most folks find yucky.
--
Galen Hekhuis
I may have mispoken