Old 06-08-2007, 01:38 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Philip Semanchuk Philip Semanchuk is offline

Default termites ( or something) in my compost pile

In article . com,
wrote:

Hello
I've recently moved my compost from a pile on the ground to black
plastic barrels.
I've noticed that in one of the barrels there are a lot of termites..a
LOT. I don't think they are maggots because they are a grey colour and
not the white that I think maggots are.
I've done some checking and this does not seem to be an uncommon
occurence and nowhere has it siad to get rid of the compost, but I'm
looking for more advice. Is this compost useable? If so, I'm guessing
that not at all close to the house. I didn't notice any termites until
after I added shredded paper to the pile (on the ground).
What are your thoughts on this?

I've seen termites in my compost as well. I don't like them there since
(as you observed) it makes me nervous about where I use the compost. Me,
I'm just leaving the compost where it is (not close to the house,
fortunately) and I hope the termites will go away once they've eaten
what they want to eat out of there. If they're using it as a nesting
site, I guess I'm going to be SOL.

Good luck
--
Philip Semanchuk