Old 07-08-2007, 07:45 PM posted to aus.gardens
len garden len garden is offline

Default Extremely hard, dry compacted lawn - what to do??

g'day barry,

not into resource wastefull lawns as such but i hear your plight,
apart from suggest turn a lot more of it into efficient gardens??!!

a coring machine would likely do the job might take a bit, as they
generally are used on sandier mediums ie.,. lawn bowls greens.

anyhow back to your um lawn, i would spread a very good layer of
gypsum over the whole area and get a good sandy loam type top soil and
top dress with that, would also suggest throwing some el-cheepo lawn
seed around so you get some growth to hold it all together until the
grass that is there springs back a not too heavy cover of that fine
sugar cane mulch will help hold a bit of moisture.

before laying the gypsum maybe give the area a good water with your
grey water a bit of detergent could help the clay hold water better.

about all i can suggest if you need hands on?? me i'd just wait for
the wet season to come and whatever green grows back let it be, reckon
in our drier conditions you could do worse than let the lotinomus,
wynn-cassia and clovers grow as ground cover/lawn at least they are
all soil improvers and very hardy.

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 14:47:12 +1000, Barry Ward
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev