Old 08-08-2007, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking
Lou Decruss Lou Decruss is offline

Default How do you use your excess bell peppers?

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 07:19:49 -0700, James
wrote:

Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
once because they don't agree with me.

Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

I made the following recipe last weekend and froze the leftovers. I
had 6 green bells but it called for reds. I used way more veggies
than the recipe called for but only had one can of diced tomatoes. so
I used a few tiny cans of tomato sauce. After I applied loads of
pepper and a bit of salt I put the pork slices in a big bowl of flour
and tossed it before flash frying. I also buttered the noodles and
served the noodles, veggies, and meat slightly overlapping each other.

It was a wonderfully simple meal. I froze most of it as there was
only two of us eating. When I re-serve I'll do fresh pork but I have
not doubt it will be just as good second time around.

Lou

Jagerschnitzel
SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: June 2000 PAGE: 212

INGREDIENTS FOR 4 SERVINGS:
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
3 cups coarsely chopped red bell pepper
2 cups coarsely chopped onion
1 cup thinly sliced carrot
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons water
1 pound pork tenderloin
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
Cooking spray
3 cups hot cooked yolk-free noodles (about 6 ounces uncooked pasta)
Chopped fresh parsley (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS:
Pork tenderloin slices are pounded into thin cutlets (or Schnitzel)
and served with a vegetable stew in this homage to Alpine hunters.

1. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add
mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, carrot, and garlic; saute 10 minutes.
Add tomatoes; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until
vegetables are tender. Combine flour, paprika, and water in a small
bowl. Stir into tomato mixture; cook 3 minutes or until slightly
thick. Keep warm.

2. Trim fat from pork; cut pork crosswise into 16 pieces. Place each
piece between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten each
piece to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
Sprinkle both sides of pork with black pepper and salt. Place a large
nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until
hot. Add pork; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done.

3. Serve vegetable mixture over noodles; top with pork slices. Garnish
with parsley, if desired. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1-1/4 cups
sauce, 3/4 cup noodles, and 4 pork slices).

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 438 (19% from fat); FAT 9.2g (sat 2g, mono 3.6g, poly 2.7g);
PROTEIN 35.2g; CARB 55.4g; FIBER 5.9g; CHOL 79mg; IRON 4.7mg; SODIUM
419mg; CALC 73mg