Old 09-08-2007, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Barb[_4_] Barb[_4_] is offline

Default Rust stains on flag stones

Thanks Sacha!
It's worth "going for it" with vinegar, then. The area isn't too big, just
where a cast iron table and chairs stood. Not the first time I've been
down on me knees with a scrubbing brush....!!!

Thanks again for your suggestions folks.

Barb

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 15:02:02 +0100, Sacha

wrote:

¤ Oxalic Acid - nasty stuff, as it's highly toxic, and it's not
easy
to find. It's more commonly used in the woodworking trades to bleach or
whiten wood, but it is quite effective at removing heavier rust stains
from
concrete and some types of stone. It may come as a proprietary "rust
remover" in which case you should follow the manufacturer's instructions
the letter. The efficacy of these products is highly variable and they
MUST
be tested on an inconspicuous area prior to use to ensure that the paving
is
not damaged or discoloured by their use.

and on the plus side it doesn't leave your patio smelling like a fish and
chip
shop.
--

Martin